Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Marketeering

I was just reading this article in the New York Times about food markets around the globe. It is rather seductive, and it makes me hungry to wander about in the markets of the world. Although that's already something I like to do in places I go, and at home too... I suppose what I mean is that it gives me that little itch for new places.

Anyway, there is a short section on the La Merced market of Mexico City - which I love because it is enormous, chaotic, fascinating and a little bit frightening - as follows:

In Mexico City, La Merced is a vast fiesta of a central market, with several huge buildings. Stepping into each is a shock no matter how many times this rabid food lover does it. There are chilies, of course, in every shade of purple-black, green, orange, yellow and red, with fiery flavors from hot to inflammable. Piles of the nopales (cactus leaves) and prickly cactus pears, with or without needles, rainbows of corn and fragrantly inviting tacos, quesadillas and tamales are just a few of the enticements.

My own pet sight here is the huge hanging sheets of chicharrones or pork cracklings, these made of whole pig skins opened flat and fried to resemble thick sheets of hammered gold leaf.


And it just struck me that none of these things surprise me any more. Not heaps of chilis, piles of cactus paddles or sheets of chicharrón. Not enormous brightly-coloured piñatas hanging above greengrocers' stalls, piles of sticky candied fruits, or entire cows' heads invitingly displayed. Not clowns hawking balloon animals, beautifully-displayed pyramids of fruit, or neat heaps of glistening stomach.

I love markets. I love their vibrancy and colour and noise. I love the sights and (most of) the smells. I like it when they are the places ordinary people go to buy the things that make up their lives. I like it when they sell slightly odd and unusual things that you don't see in the shops. I make a point of going to our local market for fresh produce and sundry goods, however lazy I'm feeling. I keep my eyes open and noticing things and I enjoy it. But, well, I don't find it shocking, and when I'm in a hurry I can be in and out pretty quickly.

It's not very surprising, but it is funny how your perceptions gradually shift and you don't even notice that something is ordinary until someone else finds it extraordinary.

2 Comments:

At 6:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food markets are a really good way of getting a feel for a new place I think. Just walking round taking in the atmosphere and energy is incredible. One of my favourite that I've been to is La Boqueria in Barcelona. Also, when I worked in the City it was right next to Smithfield Market. I only realised how used to it I had got when the sights and smells of raw meat being loaded and packed didn't seem out of place first thing in the morning anymore!

 
At 2:19 pm, Blogger Eloise said...

Bleh... the the meat part of my local market turns my stomach... I'm not sure I could hack the "smells" part! Although, maybe it's my imagination, but I think the stomachs and other offal-type body parts smell much worse...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home