Wednesday, March 28, 2007

rainy day

Today:
  • Watching a friend with a friend – affectionate, careless touches, teasing and smiling – illuminated. Feeling that I am not a friend at all. (And in a lesser part of my mind, inspired to give love so constantly and carelessly.)
  • Lights flicker out; computer stays on; office stays gloomy. The generators roar and rumble in the genebank.
  • I go to zumba (dance-based exercise class) but – of course – there are no lights – and no music. Without it, we jerk grotesquely and time crawls.
    Sounds: the stomp of feet and the creak of floorboards, thunder as the storm begins.
  • Deep blue sky, drizzling rain, lightning.
  • From my window, I watch the car I didn’t see, driving away, full of friends, or people I know. I contemplate another solitary evening.
  • I think about what it will be like to leave Mexico. I know it will be difficult, that I’ll leave a part of myself behind again. I will miss people – but I am surprised when I realise how small is the number of people I will really, deeply miss.
  • I don’t get round to doing any work, writing emails, catching up with sorting out my photos or writing my diary, or making banana muffins with my old bananas. Again.
  • I do listen to an astounding play on the radio. It makes words run; throws them onto the fire to conjure brilliant images; fits them into the keyholes of the human heart.
  • Somehow, the wind sounds like cats screaming in a fight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home