Monday, February 05, 2007

Involuntary word games

I have been working pretty hard at my scary heap of no-fun work recently, often staying til 6.30 or 7. (Which is still late, even if you never seem to make it into the office til 9.15, even though you live about four minutes from it… Ahem.)

On the other hand, sometimes concentrating is a challenge. I had a very busy day on Friday, what with the scary heap, plus several things to look over all at the last minute. However, at some point, the following thought popped, almost entirely fully formed, into my head:

“Oooh,
last,
lest,
list,
lost, and
lust
are all words!”

Two or three minutes of rapid mental-scrabble-tile-shuffling later I had concluded that sets of four-letter words where there is an actual word for each vowel are really quite rare. (Or I am not very good at thinking of them, but I choose not to believe in that possibility.) Plenty of three-word sets, a few more tantalising fours, but no more fives.

I like the set above very much, as all of the words have a certain quality of melancholy, or regret, or longing. Especially if you think of ‘list’ as being what a ship does when its leaning over in a storm at sea—which I did, before I remembered it was also what you take to the supermarket.

I managed to wrench my brain back to my editing, though a part of it kept picking up letters and putting them down again. I did come up with just one more set:

mare
mere
mire
more
mure

Which I also quite like. I may have cheated as I had to look up mure to check it is a word, but on the other hand it is a very good word. Not only is it an archaic word for a wall, but it also (courtesy of Webster’s via dictionary.com) means:

\Mure\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mured.] [F. murer, L. murare. See Mure, n.] To inclose in walls; to wall; to immure; to shut up. --Spenser.

The five kings are mured in a cave. --John. x. (Heading).

So obviously I had lurid visions of slaves and sacrifices and wronged heroes and tragic maidens, immured alive. It’s very distracting, having my brain.

6 Comments:

At 8:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ball bell bill boll bull baby!

It doesn't have the charm of your first list, but at least I can get some work done now.

Jx

 
At 3:59 pm, Blogger L, a Londoner said...

Bloody hell I am too stupid to play such games. But now at least I have something to occupy me on the 12 hours of catatonia I have to endure on a plane to Brazil tomorrow night. I'm sure in our collective mental games we have invented many things that SHOULD be words. The nearest I got was:
batter
better
bitter
...oh bugger, "botter" isn't a word...
butter

 
At 8:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINALLY!
Mate
Mete
Mite
Mote
Mute!

Now I can live my life agaon, you harridan!

 
At 1:55 am, Blogger Eloise said...

I LOVE that I have friends who feel compelled to take up this challenge! Sorry for the distraction - but Hurray for you!

J, double LLs didn't even occur to me, but when I saw them I instinctively thought they would be fertile hunting ground. So having been through the alphabet like the obsessive compulsive that I am, I can proudly announce:

gall, gell, gill, goll, gull
(gell being a variant of a scottish use of the word gill, meaning leech, and goll being an obsolete word for a hand, paw or claw)

pall, pell, pill, poll, pull
(pell being a skin, hide or pelt, or a roll of parchment)

tall, tell, till, toll, tull
(tull being a very pleasing obsolete word meaning to allure, as in "With empty hands men may no hawkes tull" --Chaucer.)

wall, well, will, woll, wull
(both woll and wull being, apparently, obsolete variants of will, in the sense of to determine)

So I cheated for all of those, but I did learn some exciting words.

L, botter should SO be a word! Six letters is raising the bar...

No, must not think about six letter words.... back to our lives citizens!

 
At 3:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can watch the latest music videos, or look at
reviews of the latest products. There are different forms of techno like house, jungle,
trance, and electronic amongst a growing list.
There are lots of MP3 player to run Deep House MP3.


Also visit my blog post daft punk random access memories -torrent flac

 
At 2:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The method that will work the best will depend on if the book you want
is protected by DRM. Ebooks are available in PDF
format also and some of websites provides booklet in various formats like Audio textbook so it becomes more easy to understand these books.

Its easy-to-use format allows anybody to search
for their favorite books online.

Have a look at my blog free pdf ebook download

 

Post a Comment

<< Home