Friday, June 06, 2008

Guilt

I need to start sorting out the photos I have taken on my digital SLR (ie big fancy camera, if you are a non-photographer). Currently all the raw files are sitting on my external hard drive in a folder called "slr unsorted", which they very much are. One of the things I need to do with them is convert them into jpegs, so I can email/send print copies to various people I have interviewed and photographed.

To do this I need the software that came with the camera. The camera used to be my dad's before he got one with even more bells and whistles, and he installed the software for me when he let me "borrow" the camera at Christmas. This, of course, disappeared when my computer went to its inglorious death. I thought I had the CD for reinstalling it, but now that I have looked everwhere and am feeling frustrated and sulky, I have decided that I never had the CD and am trying to download the software from Nikon. However, there are 23 different things I could be downloading, and I can't for the life of me remember which are the right two programmes I need.

I was just looking through emails from my dad to see if he had at any point told me this. For some reason yahoo sorted them out of date order, so I had to read them all. And I realised that pretty much all I ever email my dad about is computer- or camera- related questions, or favours he's doing for me at the time. At this moment I am feeling like the world's most maggoty daughter.

In my defence, we do talk on the phone, but still, I feel ungiving and ungrateful. I am resolved to get my arse in gear and send him some of the best of my photos - he is a camera nerd and would love to see them.

I was going to say that that means figuring out which of these programmes I need, which would bring me back to square one - I am too embarrassed to ask my dad, because I should have been less lazy and apathetic and downloaded them months ago, which I also feel guilty about - but actually I could send the crappy low-resolution files that the camera makes at the same time as the raw file. However, I think it is time to finally get on the ball, and maybe kill two guilt-birds with one stone...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home