Friday, May 16, 2008

Sex, unhelpfully advertised

I saw a (young, cool-looking) guy in street the other day wearing a T-shirt daying "sexual vanilla". It was with some self control that I stopped myself sniggering out loud until he'd walked past.

And yesterday I saw a large sign, presumably above the establishment in question, reading:
"Sex shop: no te sorprendas!"
Or,
"Sex shop: don't surprise yourself!"

Huh? Don't surprise yourself by wandering off the straight and narrow into a sex shop? Don't surprise yourself with an exciting new toy? This seems like extremely unhelpful advertising.

The dictionary gives the alternative "to wonder, marvel" for sorprender, but that doesn't get us much further. Or, "to catch unawares" so I suppose, although I am quite dubious about the grammar, it could mean "Sex shop: don't get caught unawares". Well, I suppose getting caught out without an enormous rubber dildo IS a risk...

Snigger.

2 Comments:

At 2:43 am, Blogger L, a Londoner said...

Maybe it means that you should come in and look around at all the sex toys and become familiar with them so that the next time someone shows you their naughty cupboard you aren't surprised!

Vanilla t-shirt man clearly needs to go in there.

 
At 6:09 pm, Blogger Eloise said...

Ha ha ha you are so right. You wouldn't want to appear gauche at a crucial moment. But in that case I don't think it should be reflexive? I am genuinely puzzled...!

Poor vanilla man. I actually love vanilla - the real stuff is gorgeous, plus I would always pick cheap vanilla over cheap chocolate icecream - so I think it is a shame that vanilla means boring. But still I snigger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home