Sunday, April 13, 2008

Today is nature day

I saw a snake!

Just a little one, so I wasn't scared, just enjoying the excitingness of seeing a snake - my first in Mexico outside the zoo. I was cutting across the fields on my way to the office and it was just lying there in beautiful curves on the path being perfectly a snake. It was thick as a thickish finger, and unspectacularly dirt-and-dry-corn coloured, with glittering eyes and a tiny, perfect black forked tongue flickering in and out.

And, I defeated sod's law by having my camera with me. I took pictures of its beautiful curviness and a video of it slithering snakily - and remarkably quickly - away. Unfortunately the conjunction of my computer, my card reader, and the internet is exceedingly rare at the moment, but... a snake, I saw one!

This morning I also saw the cute cat that was in our garden yesterday catch a bird (with a remarkably athletic leap) and proceed to dismember it. Which is the nature of cats and a pure action to which my judgements are entirely irrelevant... but I can't really see it as the cute cat any more.

2 Comments:

At 2:06 am, Blogger L, a Londoner said...

That is fantastic. I nearly put my face on a coral snake in Brazil (I was looking at a plant, and didn't see it hiding IN the plant, even though it was red and black), and was too surprised and excited to take any photos of it, apart from one where you can just see a bit of its body. You even took video! Good effort!

 
At 1:22 pm, Blogger Eloise said...

Thanks hon! My camera goes with me at least 90% of the time - I have learned my lesson - but still whenever I don't have it I frequently wish I did. Possibly because I have a bit of a compulsive problem and take more photos than I can possibly organise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home