Thursday, October 11, 2007

The best postcard ever?


I think so.

And look, it came all the way from Thailand, with elephants on the stamp!

Post always makes my day, but this especially so. It arrived yesterday, having confused our secretary immensely along the way, and it has been making me grin ever since.

My lovely friend Ed and I (who I don't believe reads this, so there is just no point being rude about him here) have been engaged in a coded correspondence for some time. We send each other messages to decode, with some kind of cunning clue as to what the code is. For no reason other than playfulness and for the fun of the puzzle. However, we seem to have trailed off - my last cipher was clearly just too brilliant - which is a sad state of affairs and hopefully to be reversed.

Meanwhile, I mentioned this to my lovely friend Nathan, who seems to have been rather taken with the idea, and somehow ended up vaguely promising me a coded missive. And here it is! All the way from Thailand to Mexico, and all the more exciting because - though I knew what it was at once - I wasn't definitely expecting it.

I haven't cracked it yet. I am puzzled, and a little frustrated, and intrigued, and thoroughly enjoying the challenge.

Hurray for the post, and hurray for childish games!

3 Comments:

At 8:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like an extremely tough puzzle to me. Speaking of which, I have been a little preoccupied with one of your earlier challenges but I may have finally cracked it:

Band
Bend
Bind
Bond
Bund - Embankment surrounding a rice field

Yay! So relieved! I don't think it's one that you mentioned already.

Thank you for your muffin advice. I am going shopping tonight for ingredients.

Have a good weekend.

 
At 2:20 pm, Blogger Eloise said...

Yep, it's a tough one, alhtough I have a sneaking suspicion it's actually really simple and I just haven't seen it. Ridiculously, twice now I have dreamt that I solved it, only to wake up and realise that my brilliant nocturnal inspiration was in fact not brilliant at all.

Well done on your list - it pleases me that months later it was tormenting you! Hope you had fun with the muffins.

 
At 9:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eloise.
Thank you for your muffin inspiration and advice. They were a great success and much fun to bake!

I am amused that you have dreamt about solving puzzles. I still often wake up, and for one golden moment, believe it is a Saturday and no work only to be disappointed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home