Thursday, August 30, 2007

Christ, it was five years ago that I was twenty!

...but it doesn't always feel like it...

I have had more or less two weeks to write an article for publishing online tomorrow - an unusually generous span. I have lots of material, it's about something really interesting, and I really wanted to do my best to make it a good article. Which, of course, is why I only really started writing it yesterday. I didn't know where to begin, and got sidetracked faffing around making extensive notes and doing other things.

Ladies and gentlemen, I feel EXACTLY like I did at university, racing the clock to complete assessed essays and theses. I stayed up all through the night, typing; I frantically procrastinated; I wrote twice the maximum number of words; I struggled through today in a state of hallucinogenic tiredness; I giggled at people like a maniac; I cried like a baby (only more discreetly I hope) when my colleague had to excise all the interesting bits.

I would say "you'd think I'd learn", only you wouldn't, really, if you've ever met me.

But it's quite odd though, I feel so much like I did then, it's like being in a kind of physical déjà vu, and memories float back clearly. And I do feel a distinct lack of mutual encouragement through the night via msn, and caramel-slice missions, and tea and winegums (well, I have the tea), and the general sense of being in it together.

Oh, time! (Or - O, time!)

Now I am going to make a cake for a goodbye party tomorrow, because I have gone mad, which is what happens with sleep deprivation after all. And then I am going to sleep, perchance to dream. Zzzzzzzzz

3 Comments:

At 4:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally get it, I have regressed to being 15, seriously, I spent the day wandering round Camden market wearing a pirate T-shirt listening to the Empire Records soundtrack obsessing about a bloke

xx

 
At 12:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no grape-spitting contests = no regression to age 20 :0)

 
At 1:45 am, Blogger Eloise said...

Bel, I want a pirate T-shirt! You are way too cool for me. And, ooh, boy... tell me, tell me!

G, if you were here, there would so be grape-spitting contests! Wild Enid is missing you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home