Monday, December 03, 2007

The eating of time by photographs

At the current rate of progress I'll still be sorting out my Mexico photos when I draw my first pension, partly because there are always other things to be doing, and partly because of the black hole that is playing with Photoshop. I try not to get drawn in, but then I think how a photo might look so much better cropped, or with a little bit of fiddling to correct the colour or lighting... and before you know it I'm doing altogether ridiculous but fun things with the saturation and contrast that I'm pretty sure are painfully passe and dismissed by the knowledgable as overprocessing - and I've spent an hour prodding a single photo.

But, I do rather enjoy myself.

I discovered a delicious shop at the weekend full of achingly hip and beautiful Mexican kitsch, including some rather lovely cards using the effect where most of a photo is in black and white, or almost so, with some part(s) of it picked out in bright colour. Nothing I hadn't seen before, but very nicely done, and I was gripped with the desire to have a go myself.

This is my second attempt, using a fairly mediocre photo of some farmers sitting in a row at an event at a small-town maize festival; I am quite pleased with the transformation. There'll be more to come, I suspect!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home