Friday, October 20, 2006

Candy houses and bauble trees

It seems that pictures are considered A Good Thing, even if they're not exactly stunningly interesting. I finally got round to taking some pictures of where I live, so here are a selection for your viewing pleasure (appearing in a totally weird order and layout for no reason I can fathom and not as I attempted). First up is the housing area. My apartment is the first floor window on the end of the blue building that you can see on the left. I think it is a fine thing to live in a house the colour of the sky (I have been influenced in this by Now Is The Time To Open Your Heart, by Alice Walker, which is a wonderful, beautiful, profoundly moving and altering book, or it was to me, and I recommend it) but I also like the warm colours of the other houses. Apparently each building got to vote on their colour when they were repainted from white a couple of years ago (which seems like an aesthetically dangerous strategy to me, though it's worked well) and it's still causing ructions...
















Here is the view from my front window. You can just see the mountains in the background, and in the foreground the football pitch. It's kind of fun watching the guys play football, only I have to try to not look like a net curtain-twitching weirdo.
















There are a number of these trees between house and office, and I like them very much. Apparently the lots of little pink fruits are some kind of false pepper (they have a peppery smell) - they make me think of tiny Christmas baubles.
















The main office building - with the corner of a maize plot in the foreground.
















The view from my back window. Nuff said.

2 Comments:

At 8:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my capacity as consultant botanist, I asked the Mexican lady I used to live with (Lulu) what your false pepper tree is. She says it's Anacardiaceae (the same family as mango), genus Schinus and "probably mollis" is the species. She said she had a swing in one at home in Mexico! She also says that the common name is "pirul".

 
At 12:20 am, Blogger Eloise said...

Laura you are the best consultant botanist! Thank you, it's really cool to know these things. I'm gonna have to go looking for some more exciting plants to challenge you with...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home